Ultrasound also called sonogram, you are usually offered 2 routine scans during pregnancy. Sometimes it can be more than 2 depending on your situation. The first scan can be a thrilling and revealing moment as you and your partner catch the first glimpse of your baby. Scans are screening tests that your doctor uses to see your baby through sound waves which creates visual images of the uterus, baby and placenta that can be seen on a monitor. Information on the progress of your pregnancy and baby's well being are derived from these scans.
Early pregnancy scan
- It is usually offered between weeks 11 and 14 to determine your due date. The scan at this stage is more accurate than counting from your first day of your last period (LMP).
- The scan offers you a chance to see your baby for the first time
- Scan done before this will be through the vagina aptly called a transvaginal scan.
- You will not be able to determine the sex of the baby at this stage.
- This scan is used to rule out ectopic pregnancy and threatened miscarriage
- This scan is used to help determine if you need further tests such as nuchal fold scan or CVS
- This scan is used to determine if you are carrying more than one baby
First Way of Eugene offers free pregnancy testing and free sonograms. Come on by or call and make an appointment!
1667 High Street
Eugene, Oregon 97401
Article source- http://www.welcomebabyhome.com/pregnancy/ultrasound_pregnancy.htm